Thursday, October 8, 2009

Frankenstein Reaction

So far, I enjoy Frankenstein. Following along with the creature's different emotions, and pursuit for exceptance has been one of my favorite parts of the novel thus far. Observing the creature trying to figure out who he is and dealing with human emotions with no one to guide him, really has triggered my mind into thinking what I would do if I was in the monster's situation. Quotes such as "These thoughts exhilarated me and led me to apply with fresh adour to the aquiring the art of language. My organs ere indeed harsh, but supple; and although my voice was very unlike the soft music of their tones, yet I pronounced such words as I understood with tolerable ease. It was as the ass and the lap-dog; yet surely the gentle ass whose intentions were affectionate, although rude, deserved better treatment than blows and execration." (Shelley, pg. 103)make me feel a great deal of compassion,and identify with the creature. He realizes he is different, but despite these differences, he requires companionship and acceptance just like everyone else.
This brings me to the point of the creature's request to Victor for a mate. Over the past week with the debates in class, and just from my opinion after doing my reading, I feel that the monster deserves a mate. Mary Shelley has very accuately portrayed Frankenstein's loneliness, and caused me to feel a great deal of empathy for the creature, and longing right along side the monster to achieve happiness somehow. The book drags you right along the creature as he goes through all these emotions that one can identify with, and so far thats what I find most enjoyable about Mary Shelley's Frankenstein so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment